The Hague Academy of International Law’s Advanced Course in
Hong Kong – 1st Edition
The Hague Academy of International Law
Department of Justice, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Asian Academy of International Law
The 1st Edition of The Hague Academy of International Law’s Advanced Course in Hong Kong brought together participants coming from 18 jurisdictions around the world to learn from a team of globally acclaimed experts.
Starting off with Welcome Speeches by the Secretary-General of The Hague Academy of International Law, Professor Jean-Marc Thouvenin; and Founder and Co-Chairman of the Academy, Ms Teresa Cheng GBM GBS SC JP; Secretary for Justice of the Hong Kong SAR, Mr Paul Lam SBS SC JP, then graced the Course with his Opening Remarks.
Prior to this intensive 5-day Course, a list of reading materials was sent to the participants, preparing them to attend a series of expert lectures that explored selected topics on international law, including the United Nations Convention on International Settlement Agreements resulting from Mediation by Ms Natalie Morris-Sharma; Investor-State Dispute Settlement by Professor Diego P. Fernández Arroyo; International Commercial Arbitration by Professor Franco Ferrari; Settlement of International Disputes before Domestic Courts by Professor Matthias Weller; and Latest Developments of Dispute Resolution in China by Judge Gao Xiaoli.
With the 1st Edition of the Course coinciding with the Centenary of The Hague Academy of International Law, a Cocktail Reception was held in the evening of 15 Dec and attended by senior management of the Academy, consular corps, government officials as well as a good number of professionals from the academic, legal and business sectors.
• I’ve learned a lot and it enriched my knowledge!
• The style of presentation was very engaging and interactive, accommodating a variety of learning styles.
• The experts were excellent. Every speaker conveyed their presentation in a great way, easy to understand and very informative.
• It was really an exciting opportunity to listen to the insider views on phenomenal conventions such as the Singapore Convention, and it helped a lot in my work also in organising negotiations on conventions.
• The contents of The Hague Academy of International Law’s Advanced Course in Hong Kong not only met, but exceeded, my expectations. The Course’s focus on the latest trends in international commercial and investment dispute settlement was particularly insightful. The depth and breadth of knowledge shared by distinguished speakers, combined with a judicious mix of theory and practice, has greatly improved my understanding of complex aspects of international law.