2021 UNCITRAL WGIII Inter-Sessional Meeting
United Nations Commission on International Trade Law
Department of Justice, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Asian Academy of International Law
Riding on the success of the first-ever Virtual Pre-Inter-Sessional Meeting in 2020, this Inter-Sessional Meeting of the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) Working Group III (WGIII) was convened in hybrid mode under the theme of ‘The Use of Mediation in ISDS’, addressing various topical issues through panel sessions, practical workshop and roundtable discussions. It drew to the stage an array of internationally acclaimed speakers, including Ms Li Yongjie (Director-General of the Department of Treaty and Law, Ministry of Commerce of China), Ms Anna Joubin-Bret (The Secretary of UNCITRAL), Ms Teresa Cheng GBM GBS SC JP (Secretary for Justice of the Hong Kong SAR) amongst others. Having attracted over 600 registrants coming from 94 countries/regions all around the globe, this Meeting succeeded in facilitating the sharing of views and experience pertaining to the use of mediation in investor-State dispute settlement among UNCITRAL representatives, WGIII delegates as well as attendees from different professional backgrounds.
• The panellists were able to highlight the importance of mediation opening as an important part of the mediation process to ensure parties understand mediation initiatives well.
• It was informative with distinguished speakers sharing their experiences.
• The Meeting exceeded my expectations and it was great to see the world focused on these issues now.
• Contents were quite comprehensive and it was great to include the CEPA aspect.
• The speakers adequately covered the concept of mediation and how it could form part of the ISDS process.
• It covered the entire ecosystem and considerations on promoting and implementing mediation in ISDS.
• This topic is very hot and I look forward to attending more of these seminars.